Business Customer Security Email - November 2015
November 12, 2015
Dear Business Customer:
American Bank is committed to providing you with helpful tips in order to further protect the financial information for you and your business online. That’s why we want to share this update with you about a relatively new form of scamming called Business Email Compromise.
There are various versions of this scam but in this instance, the email accounts of high-level executives and/or business owners are compromised. The account may be spoofed or hacked and the fraudster makes a request to another employee within the company who is normally responsible for processing wire transfers or other financial transactions. In some instances, a request for a wire transfer is sent directly to the financial institution from the scammer with instructions to urgently send funds to another bank for a specific, perhaps unusual, reason.
So, what additional steps can you take to ensure that your business is not impacted by a scam such as this? Here are a few tips:
- Avoid free web-based email. Establish a company website domain and use it to establish company email accounts in lieu of free, web-based accounts.
- Be careful what is posted to social media and company websites, especially job duties or out of office details.
- Be suspicious of requests for secrecy or pressure to take action quickly.
- Consider additional IT and financial security procedures and two-step verification processes, including out of band communication or authentication.
- Beware of sudden changes in business practices. Always verify that you are still communicating with a legitimate fellow employee.
Also, it is important to remember that you should never send confidential information about your business through unsecured email to us or anyone else requesting that information. We will never call or send you emails asking you to provide, update, or verify personal or account information, such as passwords, social security numbers, PINs, check or credit card numbers or other confidential information. If you receive any communication from someone posing as American Bank requesting something like this, please contact us at 888.366.6622 to confirm authenticity.
We hope that you find this information helpful. For more information about security and protecting your accounts, visit the Security section of our website, AMBK.com. If you have any questions about your accounts, please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Service team toll-free at 888.366.6622. It will be our pleasure to assist you!
Sr. Vice President, Chief Operating Officer